22 November 2011

The Joys of a family photo

This year I decided to do my own Christmas card photos.  Last year we paid an amazing photographer to do them and she did a fantastic job!! www.tiianorsym.com If you live in the Chicago area and you are looking for a family photographer be sure to check her out.

This year unfortunately it wasn't in the budget.  So I dressed the family up and off we went to a scenic location. I had high hopes! Both girls had slept well, just had a morning snack and appeared happy. I talked about the beautiful swans we were going to see in an effort to get them excited about the location.

Once we arrived the wind seemed to get exponentially stronger. Not having that much experience with my tripod it took me forever to get the camera attached to it all the while I was wasting valuable happy dispositions from the girls.  When I finally figured out how to attach the camera to the tripod the wind blew so hard it knocked the entire tripod with camera and fancy lens to the ground.  The lens was covered in mud! By the time I set up the shot and got everyone in place I was so frustrated.  With a 3 year old, a 1 year old, and a husband who was trying to go along with my grand idea I knew I had very little time to get the shots I had envisioned. I blew it, big time!  I literally took about 10 photos before I realized it just wasn't going to happen.

I never did get to see the swans.
Note to self: next year, I will pay for family photos!!

We packed the girls up and decided to try after naps, before sunset in our backyard. This time I did manage to get some decent shots. A little tip: I used masking tape to wrap Elmo around the tripod and told Jillian to look at Elmo, this ended up working for Mallory too. (even though at 3 years old she's capable of following the directions to look at the camera I think it made it more fun for her).

Here are our potential Christmas Card shots:

IMG_5465-2card copy

IMG_5642web copy

IMG_5512web copy

IMG_5630web copy

IMG_5522web copy

IMG_5634card webcopy

IMG_5565web copy

IMG_5728web copy

IMG_5718 webcopy

Here are some SOOC (straight out of the camera) out takes!

IMG_5459

IMG_5602

IMG_5574

IMG_5466

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, love these so much. I laughed out loud at your tripod + wind experience. Thank goodness your equipment is ok!! Your card is going to be awesome and oh so personal because you did it yourself! Love the new blog design, too!

Tricia said...

Thanks so much Tiffany!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...