03 March 2011

The Joy of Books

Having spent many years teaching preschool and also at one time working in the children's section of Barnes and Noble I developed a huge passion for children's literature.  I literally could spend hours and hours sifting through all the picture books in the kids section.  During those years I discovered many favorites that I added to my collection and always hoped that one day I would be able to share this love with my own children someday, how gratifying that I'm actually able to do that now that Mallory is about to enter the preschool years! Of course there's the ever popular stories/authors that everybody knows about: Eric Carle and The Brown Bear Brown Bear series, all Dr. Seuss books, Goodnight Moon, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie series, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom etc..  While those books are all wonderful timeless pieces of children's literature I've also discovered some not so overly popular lovely gems along the way.  Some of them I love because of the message they send or the stories they tell, others simply have beautiful illustrations, and some are simply witty, intelligent, and humorous!  All of them are worthy of adding to any young child's library as they discover the joy of books.   

A few of them are some of Mallory's current favorites!  I love that she loves books and get's so excited to read them! 





Some of The Gems:  First the Egg by Laura Vaccaro
                                   Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel
                                   All The Places to Love by Patricia Maclachlan 
                                   May There Always Be Sunshine by Jim Gill 
                                   He Came With the Couch by David Slonim 
                                   I Ain't Gonna Paint No More by Karen Beaumont 
                                   The Little Light of Mine by E.B. Lewis 
                                   When Sophie Gets Angry by Molly Bang 
                                   One Word, One Day by Barbara Kerley   

Also, any book by Kevin Henkes and of course I can't forget the gem of all gems (in my humble opinion) The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein! 

"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all."
— Jacqueline Kennedy





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...