17 September 2010

Sugar and Spice...

"Sugar and Spice and everything nice...that's what little girls are made of."  We've all heard this timeless quotes/rhyme from a million years ago.   Although I don't buy into the old fashion gender specific roles of "Little girls should play with dolls, love dresses, and cross their legs and sit pretty"....  I must admit that we definitely have our fair share of pink in our household and I'm a sucker for any cute hair bow for my girls!  I do however try to provide some balance of "boy toys" and "girly toys", include black and blue colored outfits in their wardrobe, try to purchase primary colored toys when possible, and try to steer clear of the gender specific cliche's in our daily language.   As the years go by I will make a conscience effort to provide both my girls with all sorts of experiences,  let them decide what they enjoy and most importantly not assume just because they're a girl that they'll be interested in something. 

That said...there's no denying Mallory is already showing signs of liking "girly" things. I was painting my toenails the other day and she was fascinated with what I was doing.  A few minutes later we had a mother/daughter girly moment as I painted her toenails for the first time.  It was a wonderful feeling to see the joy in her face as she admired her little painted toenails but I did have little thoughts running through my head..."Oh no am I innocently perpetuating some sort of beauty image...and am I really doing this for her or me?"  Do I secretly want her to love shopping, makeup, and shoes...just like I do?!"   Yeah, I know she's only two, get a grip right?  I guess if I'm being honest I do want her to like some of those things and I have dreams of us having many more mother/daughter girly moments and I do think as long as I balance those moments with a few trips to Wrigley Field and catching frogs in the pond it'll all be okay!      

So proud of her painted toenails

The most important gift anyone can give a girl is a belief in her own power as an individual, her value without reference to gender, her respect as a person with potential.

-- Emilie Buchwald

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...